What is family planning freedom? In short, it is the freedom to choose whether and when to attempt to conceive a child or to attempt to prevent conception, and to choose the prevention method that is best for one’s own life circumstances and health.
Even though most self-identifed pro-lifers favor family planning freedom, we haven’t succeeded in making our voices heard in the public sphere. Too often, pro-life advocates link opposition to abortion with opposition to family planning, and pro-choice advocates link support for family planning with support for abortion.
All Our Lives rejects this opposition. We have developed a presentation outlining ten ways in which family planning freedom is prolife:
- It prevents millions of maternal and child deaths every year.
- It measurably reduces abortion rates.
- It is a critical solution to the overlapping injustices of violence against women and abortion.
- Contraceptives truly prevent rather than take lives.
- Contraception can be and is widely practiced without a “contraceptive mentality.”
- Some contraceptives help prevent HIV/AIDS.
- Most abortion opponents favor contraception.
- Family planning freedom is a recognized universal human right, and one that encompasses all prevention methods.
- Family planning freedom includes the freedom to bear children, and precludes forced sterilization and abortion.
- Contraception secures the sexual/reproductive and life rights of people with disabilities.
We hope that you will be able to use this resource (now available in English & Spanish) in discussions with pro-lifers and pro-choicers alike.
VOLUNTEER TRANSLATORS NEEDED. We are looking especially for people who are fluent in both English and at least one of the remaining United Nations languages: Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin), French, and Russian. We also want to translate our presentation into Hindi, Polish, Portuguese, Swahili, Tagalog, and Urdu. Please contact volunteer at-sign allourlives dot org.