In honor of International Women's Day, we'd like to say "thank you" to our friends and supporters on every continent (except Antarctica — anyone know a very cold supporter of women's rights?)!
We'd also like to draw the attention of our U.S. members to this call to action in support of the International Violence Against Women Act.
An overview of the global figures on violence against women compiled by Amnesty International reveals a horrifying scenario:
- Only 3 countries in the world have legislation that specifically addresses violence against women as a category of criminal activity (Bangladesh, Sweden and USA).
- At least 1 in every 3 women globally, has been beaten, raped, coerced into sex, or otherwise subject to physical violence in her lifetime.
- Up to 70% of female murder victims are killed by their male partners
- More than 135 million women have been subjected to (FGM) female genital mutilation and an additional 2 million girls are at risk each year (6,000 new cases every day).
- 79 countries have no (or unknown) legislation against domestic violence.
- Only 16 nations have legislation specifically referring to sexual assault.
If you live in the United States, please click on this link, to locate and contact your Senator/Representative, and send them an email, telling them to pass the IVAWA. You can also include in your message a link to http://genderbyteslinks.wordpress.com/2011/02/25/a-call-to-all-u-s-citizens-make-history-please-help-pass-the-ivawa/ for more information.